Sunday, November 2, 2008

What the Election Tells Us

I was reading an article at boston.com about how the election may define the American political situation. One of the most interesting parts is about how the people of the world are supposed to view us.

I've been one to more readily dismiss the views of much of the world, especially the richer, lazier nations. And of course, there's this:

Obama has cited his own racial background and time spent in Indonesia as a reason why "the world will look at America differently when I'm president."

Why does it matter what race Obama is in how he governs? And he spent time in Southeast Asia... um didn't John McCain spend a lot more time there for better reasons than just moving there as a kid?

In addition, I had to read this:

And he reinforced just how much his election could do to improve relations with US allies by staging a campaign-style rally in Berlin, attended by hundreds of thousands of adoring Germans.

Naturally, this takes me back to my regular refrain of not placing Germany's esteem too high. Still, this goes to show that a populace in which a large population believes that the U.S. carried out the September 11th attacks adores Obama. If anything, that's a reason not to vote for him.

We'll find out Tuesday, but I just hope everyone remembers to vote for John McCain.

No comments: