Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Stosselian Libertarianism

From an article linked at Real Clear Politics, take a look at why John Stossel considers himself a libertarian.

I wish I could call myself "liberal" now. But the word has been turned on its head. It now means health police, high taxes, speech codes and so forth.

So I can't call myself a "liberal." I'm stuck with "libertarian." If you have a better word, please let me know.

When I first explained libertarianism to my wife, she said: "That's cruel! What about the poor and the weak? Let them starve?"

I recently asked some prominent libertarians that question, including Jeffrey Miron, who teaches economics at Harvard.

"It might in some cases be a little cruel," Miron said. "But it means you're not taking from people who've worked hard to earn their income (in order) to give it to people who have not worked hard."

If you don't get Fox Business Channel, demand it!

Bookmark our site!
Subscribe
Bookmark and Share
Consider advertising on our site!

No comments: