The game starts fairly simply in an unmarked grave until you're found by a doctor who patches you up and has you determine your SPECIAL and other traits. The main storyline is compelling but short, just like Fallout 3. While it appears that there are a similar amount of side quests between Fallout 3 and NV, the world is significantly smaller in New Vegas. This hurts the playability of the overall game and significantly reduces just what you can do.
There are bugs galore. Targeting, camera, scripts... it's a lot. And it's distracting and takes away from the gameplay. There's even a bug in opening the game!
Also, loads take a tremendously long time and are a pain in the butt. You could wait upwards of a half minute just leaving a building. One review described them as "demoralizing" and I agree.
A few observations:
- The radio stations in NV are inferior to 3. Mr. New Vegas is a nice touch, but with far fewer lines than Three Dog. Besides, two of the stations share the same music, which is pretty good but are far fewer than the number in 3.
- There are bugs galore-- I know I already said that, but I have to again.
- The ending is far improved over 3, however you still can't play after that.
- Some parts are far deeper into the lore and use characters from Fallout 2. Other parts are shorter and rushed.
- It feels like there's a genuine war between the Legion and the New California Republic. However, there's far less Legion territory and interaction (unless you actively side with them).
Overall, this game is both satisfying and frustrating. It feels like the game was rushed and if given another six months it could have far outstripped Fallout 3. It's still worth buying but make sure to download the patch.
Very good, would have been a 9.0 without the bugs.
Did you play it? What do you think?
Special thanks to multiple sites for the pictures.
Don't forget to comment and to bookmark our site!
advertising on our site!