Middleburgh is where Conrad Weiser, and his followers, decided to settle. Upon arguments over land, Weiser left Middleburgh and resettled in
John Peter Gabriel Muhlenberg, Henry’s son, accomplished many things in his life. In 1774, he was elected to the House of Burgesses, and in 1775, he became a colonel. In fact, after he concluded a sermon in favor of the Revolution, he got almost three hundred men to enlist under his command, that very day. Mr. Muhlenberg fought in the battle of
John Conrad Weiser Jr. succeeded his father as an Indian interpreter. John Jr. Worked for the government for some years, and even traveled with George Washington. Washington and Weiser were such good friends that
When the Palatines arrived to the valley, there were a small amount of Indians, Mohegans to be exact, living near the stream. These Indians gave the Palatines shelter, and helped them survive. As time went on, and the more there were whites, these Indians disappeared.
Between 1722 and 1775, the forest was cut down, and crops were grown. Also within this time period, houses were built, barns were constructed, and prosperity reigned. In 1732, the Reformed Dutch Church was built, and it stood until it was burned down by Johnson and Brant in 1780. In 1785, construction of a new church commenced, and in 1787, it was completed. In the meantime, services were held in the Middle Fort. Other churches in the area included, the
The Middle Fort was originally a wing of Johannes Becker’s mansion, which was sealed with wood and metal. In 1777, the property became a three acre fortress that accommodated the local farmers and the militia. In the fort were also cannons and an oven to serve the town.
Johnson and Brant came to raid the
When Johnson’s truce-flag approached the fort, Martinus Zielie fired on Major Woolsey’s flag, under Tim Murphy’s order. The second time the flag approached, Murphy fired at it. Also next to Tim Murphy was David Elerson.
The Zielie family came from
The Borsts came to the valley in 1713, or 1714. Peter Borst built a grist mill before the Revolution, which stood until 1795.
Thomas and Cornelius Eckerson came to the
Hartman’s Dorf was settled in 1713 and contained around sixty five houses. Planted there was the
The Richtmyer family came from
After the Revolution, Middleburgh was rebuilt using new technology. J. M. Scribner bought or built three mills. John Hinman made the first threshing machines in the county. In 1813, construction of a new bridge was started, and completed in 1819. Zodac Pratt made one of the largest tanneries in the state, and thanks to this tannery, the hamlet of Prattsville sprung up. George Danfort built another tannery in
The First National Bank was founded in 1880, with a treasury of $50,000. Port Stanton was named after a soldier that was mortally wounded at Bull Run. In the lists given about the bank, names like Becker and Danforth show up.
Lands around Schoharie were named after Governor Hunter. Thus we get the name “Huntersfield”, but, obviously, later on it’s name was changed to Huntersland. A large portion of this land was bought by Johannes Lawyer in 1768.
On this that stood out to me this entire chapter is that it seemed like everyone knew everyone else. These people must have been really popular.