According to the latest Real Clear Politics poll average, Barack Obama leads 50-43.5% nationally. If McCain is going to reach Obama, he better pull something out of his hat.
A few things to remember:
* the RCP averages had Bush up by 1.5% at the end and he won by 2.5%
* Democrats are more likely to talk to exit pollers, thus skewing the results
* exit pollers are more likely to be in cities, skewing results towards the Democrats
So... looking at this, McCain needs to do a couple of things:
* Remind people that he is one of America's most vaunted living war heroes
* Try and discover this Khalidi tape
* Bring up Reverend Wright
* Talk beyond party terms
* Get off the tax talk... Obama has pitted this into class warfare and McCain needs to change the subject
* Reference how Obama ran as the far-left 'troops home even if it causes genocide' candidate.
* Talk about oil drilling
* Steal the spotlight by saying something controverisal... he'll figure it out
I don't think McCain will win, but I sure hope so.