I was reading an article on Talk Left about this very question. And to be sure, it comes from a biased source. However, I feel that Romney would have been a worse choice than Sarah Palin. A few points why:
1. Palin is an authentic middle-class woman, Romney is a rich businessman.
2. Palin worked her way up to governor because she fought corruption. Romney did the same by having a lot of money.
3. Romney's an expert on Wall Street. Sarah Palin know about Main Street.
4. Romney was (and is) perceived as a phony. Palin, much as some people don't like her, has always been seen as stating her opinions.
5. Romney's flaws and problems were already being researched by the Democrats and some even came out by Republicans during the primaries.
6. Romney's positions on issues while Governor of Massachusetts (more moderate positions which I like) were changed just to run for the Republican nomination. What happens if he becomes President.
Palin wasn't my first choice, but McCain is. Remember to Vote November 4th and get people out.