The Palatines were the first to settle in Schoharie in 1718. Schoharie’s original name was “
The Old Stone Fort was originally built as a church in 1772, although the congregation was formed in 1730. In the church before the Old Stone Fort, one of Joseph Brant’s daughters was baptized. In 1777, the Old Stone Fort was surrounded by pickets and turned into a fort. When a new church was built in 1845, the Old Stone Fort was bought by
A Schoharie resident, George Mann, was a Tory early in the Revolution, but then joined the patriots before the war ended, and thusly didn’t have his property confiscated. Three hotels in
In 1811, the “Schoharie and Duanesburgh Turnpike” was built and connected with the Great Western Turnpike. The county’s first mill was near
The county lost two courthouses to fire, and decided to build a stone one, which still stands. Schoharie had Protestant Churches, including an “African Methodist Episcopal Church”, organized in 1856. The
In the list of those who won public office, names such as Bellinger, Swart, Mann, Dietz, and Lawyer stand out. Schoharie boarders were changed to take out Esperance and Wright.
It’s amazing to look at all that’s changed in 250 years. People die, buildings burn, things change. Yet, through all those years, the Old Stone Fort still stands, seemingly untouched by time. People don’t really appreciate the scarcity of relics like the Fort.