Monday, February 2, 2009

NOT Satire: Obama Says Most Troops to Be Back From Iraq Within One Year

Well, this actually is NOT a satire piece, but I think in about a year, it may be remembered as one. President Obama is now saying that the majority of United States troops in Iraq will return home within a year.

Call me skeptical, but Joe Biden said that if the US government wanted to evacuate all U.S. troops, it would take a year. That's if we pulled up the stakes tomorrow and dashed for the exits. Unfortunately, I believe that the President is attempting to tell voters what they want to hear. With successful elections in Iraq (thanks to George Bush), now the American people are looking to end engagement in that country.

My prediction (and there's a 2/3 chance I'm wrong): within a year, there will be 80,000 U.S. troops in Iraq. Today's total: 140,000. Less than half as of 2/2/2010. And hopefully even this smaller withdrawal will not lead to more violence.

No comments: