Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Scott Brown receives GOP nomination, what does it mean?

Authors note - I have been an biased supporter of Scott Brown since he launched a campaign during September.

Without much surprise, Massachusetts State Senator and one of the few Republicans elected to the Massachusetts legislature, Scott Brown received the Republican nomination when the voters arrived at the polls yesterday. While watching the results stream in last night, it became apparent that Brown is the candidate of Republicans, his lone opposition could not manage 20,000 votes.

2009 Massachusetts Republican Senate Primary

Scott Brown - 145,465 (89%) - won all Massachusetts townships except for one.
Jack Robinson - 17,241 (11%) - won the Heath township.

Now that Scott Brown is the selected candidate of Republicans (Note - Republican turnout was just 19.65% compared to the total turnout, due to no real opposition in GOP circles) for the special United States Senate election in a few weeks, Conservatives and Republicans need to work hard for a close Senate election, if we can muster a high enough turnout, we could win.

Massachusetts Attorney General, Martha Coakley, was the winning candidate on the Democratic side, however, she won the nomination with just 47% of the vote, three other candidates including Congressman Capuano split the other 53% of the vote, leaving Scott Brown with the potential to capitalize on over 300,000 voters who did not want Coakley as their nominee.

What does this all mean for Republicans, Scott Brown, and the upcoming Senate election?


Besides for the Romney bid several years ago, this is the best chance for Republicans to come close to winning in Massachusetts, as voters across the Nation are dissatisfied with Democrats, and even Massachusetts was against the bailouts, something almost all Democrats supported. Voter turnout will be the make or break scenario in the upcoming election, as Republicans will need to produce a 500,000 voter turnout just to have a chance.

Scott Brown

Scott Brown is now the Republican candidate for United States Senate, his brethren supported him with 89% of the vote, while the Democrat nominee received just 47% of the Democratic vote. Leaving Brown with a united base for his campaign, and the Democrat with a fractured Democrat base.

Senate election

The United States Senate election to replace Senator Kennedy will take place on January 19th, 2010. With voter turnout just 27.70% of what it was during the 2008 elections, if Republicans can manage to get their voters out there, we can win this election. It will take time and hard work, however, would win this election, and we must give it our best.

Bookmark our site!

Bookmark and Share

No comments: