Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Clemens Speaks Out: 'The Steroids I Took Made Me Forget I Took Steroids'

Sports Central Late Edition
Jerry Beal

BRISTOL, CONNECTICUT- Speaking about accusations in the newly released book "American Icon: The Fall of Roger Clemens and the Rise of Steroids in America's Pastime," Roger Clemens admitted possibly taking steroids.

Appearing on ESPN's Mike and Mike in the Morning, Clemens stated in a prior press release that he intended to refute the claims of the newly release book, which accuses the seven-time All Star of knowingly taking steroids. Instead, Clemens veered off, making a shocking admission.

Responding to Mike Greenberg's question of whether he was injected by Brian McNamee or ever took steroids or HGH, Clemens stated, "I'll say the same thing I've said all along, Greeny, that I never knowingly took steroids. That doesn't mean that I didn't take them."

Following a pause, Mike Golic asked whether Clemens would like to clarify his statement.

"Look, my records speak for themselves. I don't remember taking steroids, but I may have. McNamee might have slipped me some, or maybe I intentionally took them and don't remember. But the fact remains that I am an innocent man who knows he doesn't remember taking steroids.

"I'm innocent until proven guilty," Clemens continued.

Clemens surprising turnaround caught many sports analyists off-guard. "He left the door open for the first time," said Ralph Anderson, a low-level sports reporter for CNR. "Instead of flatly denying the steroid allegations, Clemens left the question unanswered. Maybe he's having doubts himself."

The possible admission by Clemens comes after a long media silence by the possible Hall of Famer. He is scheduled to appear on the Jim Rome Show and Jim Rome is Burning this Thursday.

"People have to learn to leave me alone," Clemens concluded in the interview. "Report something else; I'm not front-page news."



If you need to search anything on Google, please use the bar below:

No comments: