Considering the phenomenal increase of Perfect Games in Major League Baseball over the past four weeks; Dallas Braden against the Rays, and Roy Halladay against the Marlins. And let us not forget about Armando Galarraga, who tossed a Perfect Game earlier this week, but human imperfection led to a blown call on what should have been the 27th consecutive out.
I believe it's time to list every single Perfect Game ever tossed in Major League history; only 20 professional pitchers have ever perfected the art of pitching in a singular performance, but their once-in-a-lifetime performance has created such a lore within the sport, that even the mention of the coveted "Perfect Game" during an incomplete Perfect Game is unofficially prohibited.
(1) - 1880 - Lee Richmond of the Worcester Ruby Reds.
(2) - 1880 - John Ward of the Providence Grays.
(3) - 1904 - Cy Young of the Boston Redsox.
(4) - 1908 - Addie Ross of the Cleveland Naps.
(5) - 1922 - Charlie Robertson of the Chicago White Sox.
(6) - 1956 - Don Larsen* of the New York Yankees.
(7) - 1964 - Jim Bunning** of the Philadelphia Phillies.
(8) - 1965 - Sandy Koufax of the LA Dodgers.
(9) - 1968 - Catfish Hunter of the Oakland Athletics.
(10) - 1981 - Len Barker of the Cleveland Indians.
(11) - 1984 - Mike Witt of the California Angels.
(12) - 1988 - Tom Browning of the Cincinnati Reds.
(13) - 1991 - Dennis Martinez of the Montreal Expos.
(14) - 1994 - Kenny Rogers of the Texas Rangers.
(15) - 1998 - David Wells of the New York Yankees.
(16) - 1999 - David Cone of the New York Yankees.
(17) - 2004 - Randy Johnson of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
(18) - 2009 - Mark Buehrle of the Chicago White Sox.
(19) - 2010 - Dallas Braden of the Oakland Athletics.
(20) - 2010 - Roy Halladay of the Philadelphia Phillies.
It's true that most of the above mentioned Perfect Game alumni are "one-game wonders", but the art of Perfection is so precious, valuable, and mysterious all at the same time; one doesn't ever challenge those who have done the impossible, even if their before or after statistics were amazingly dreadful.
In a world of imperfection, confusion and disappointment; I'm glad 20 individuals have proven that anything can be done by anyone; even the Perfect Game.
* - 1956 World Series.
** - Current US Senator.
Bookmark our site!
advertising on our site!