Thursday, July 8, 2010

Interview with Eric, Justin, and Rob of Primary Ignition (Part 1)

Jumping in Pools is proud our One Hundredth (#100) interview in our on-going series.  Today we have Part One of a two part interview with Eric Stuckart, Justin Polak, and Rob Seibert of Primary Ignition.  Primary Ignition is an amalgamation of this generation's favorite things: movies, video games, comic books, and music.  Thanks to Eric, Justin, and Rob for a great (and long!) interview:


When was Primary Ignition started and by whom?  Why?

Rob Siebert: I think the site was something Eric wanted to do for a long time. The three of us all have at least a bit of journalism and writing in our backgrounds, we're all fanboys, and we're all friends. So why not?

Eric Stuckart: It was something that Justin and I had both been tossing around in the back of our heads for a couple of years now. Him and I both had many similar interests, in both games, music, movies, et cetera, and we both had some experience writing for college newspapers but didn’t really have the outlet or resources, so we decided to do it ourselves. We started working on the site in late February/early March, and started rolling out regular content around mid-April. We welcomed Rob into the fold early on, due to both his experience and enthusiasm, as well as his love for comics, something that Justin and I both aren’t as well-versed in.


Where do you see your website in a year?

Rob:  Hopefully doing exactly what it's doing now, but with a wider range of content, more writers, and in a perfect world...advertisers.

Justin Polak: I hope for more readers in a year, obviously.  I also would like to start doing more video-based projects myself because if done properly, they could draw more attention.  That and I'm crazy and I think people like to laugh at me.

Eric: Besides the wider range of contend and bigger audience, I’d really like to see us be able to move into the podcast and web video directions as well. A bigger team wouldn’t hurt, either.


What makes your site unique?

Rob: Well, keep in mind we've only been around for a few months and are still establishing our identity. But I'd have to say the people behind it. With the internet, writing something and publishing it is easy. Making someone actually want to read it is another. But I think the three of us, and of course the people who work with us, are all fairly creative and dare I say witty in nature. I think we're all trying to create something that critiques, but also entertains. We don't want to get into that overly cynical fanboy area. Leave that for other sites. We want to have fun.

Eric: I’d like to think that we’re a site that readers can go to without any kind of elitist bias. And we also like to poke fun at ourselves just as much as everything else, which makes for a more fun reading experience in my opinion. And more importantly, we’re not afraid to run pieces on things that might not technically appeal to the quote/unquote gamer, or comic book fan. Variety, after all, is the spice of life.


You cover movies, comic books, and video games on your site.  Is there one that is more fun to cover than the others?

Rob: Well it's important to note we don't want to JUST cover those three areas, but those are definitely the ones that get the most attention right now. I think Eric, Justin and I all have areas we naturally gravitate to. For me, it's comic books. I love 'em, even the bad ones. We have graphic novel reviews almost every week, and I do a "First Impressions" piece on #1 issues that runs frequently. Again, we try to have fun with it, and not take everything SO seriously.

Eric: Don’t forget, we also do music reviews as well, which by far is my personal favorite. I’ve spent more than half my life among my friends as the token “music geek” and doing the reviews on the site pretty much gives me an opportunity to weigh in on as much as I can. I love hearing new things and being able to tell readers my thoughts on them without the pretension that I find on many websites today. Even still, I don’t sugarcoat it, either. Video games are definitely the runner up though. Some of them can be so time consuming, though.

Justin: I personally love to write about video games because that is my favorite subject to discuss out of anything that is covered on the site.  I also think it's a subject with a wide variety of opinions differing from person to person, so it's more interesting to me if someone agrees or disagrees with what I have to say.


You recently had an article entitled What I’ve Learned From Final Fantasy VII.  FFVII, of course, is still a very popular title and many are hoping for a Final Fantasy VII HD.  Do you think that Square-Enix will ever create a remake?

Rob: Probably not, but never say never. I'm sure they could make a profit from it, so if the fandom lit a fire under the company's collective ass that was hot enough, I'm sure they'd do it. I wouldn't want them to change the game itself too much, but if they could update the graphics and the cut scenes, that would be amazing. It'd be interesting to see what the various towns and locations looked like if they updated that kind of stuff. If any game ever deserved a tribute like that, it's Final Fantasy VII.

Justin: Square-Enix should do a remake, but they seem to be busy with so many other projects.  And when I say they should, that doesn't mean I want them to.  I am sure a lot of people would enjoy it if a FFVII remake came out, but there are a lot of things in the game that would look downright ridiculous with realistic graphics.  Imagine the Don Corneo sequence looking realistic! *shudders*

Eric: While personally I don’t have nearly enough experience with the Final Fantasy series, I think that Square-Enix would only make do it if they felt that they could profit off of it after development costs, but they don’t seem too interested in looking back in that manner.

I mean, the fans have been crying for a sequel to Chrono Cross for years, and Square-Enix basically said no because the Chrono Trigger port on the DS didn’t sell well enough, so it’d really have to be a high demand. I think it’d be way too much of an undertaking for them, especially when considering how long it took them to make Final Fantasy XIII. Compared to their remakes of the earlier titles for the Nintendo DS, it would be way too much of an investment for them without a guaranteed profit margin. It would be awesome though.


Don't forget to comment and to bookmark our site! Subscribe
Bookmark and Share
Consider advertising on our site!

1 comment:

RM said...

Good interview