Friday, July 9, 2010

Interview with Eric, Justin, and Rob of Primary Ignition (Part 2)

Here is the second part of Jumping in Pools's interview with Eric Stuckart, Justin Polak, and Rob Seibert of Primary Ignition, a movie/video game/comic book/music website.  You can find Part 1 of the interview here.


What are your five favorite video games that you have ever played?

Rob: This is more Eric and Justin's area, but...Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy VII, Lego Star Wars and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Justin: In order from number one to number five:  Final Fantasy IV, Mega Man 2, Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, Final Fantasy VII.

Eric: Mega Man X, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Borderlands.


In your time writing on Primary Ignition, what have you learned about having a website?

Rob: Some of the basics. Eric and I both worked as editors at a college paper, and I've worked as a reporter, so we both kind of knew what we were getting into in terms of managing people, editing content, etc. But this is OUR ball game, so there were some additional responsibilities we learned about. It's daunting at times, but definitely worth it.

Eric: It’s a lot of work. We try to run fresh stories daily, as well, making the stakes much much higher. If one of us drops the ball, there’s only three of us to pick up the slack, from an administrative perspective. It’s also hard finding a balance between covering things that you want to cover, and things that would make for a good read. I find that particularly comes into play with video games and movies a lot. I mean, who really wants to play a bad game or see a crappy film? But, duty calls. And that’s what we’re here for, for better or worse.


Any movies coming out in the next 12 months that you are especially looking forward to?  Why?


Rob: Despicable Me looks like it'll be good. I'm interested to see how they pull Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows off. I'm a huge Bill Murray fan, so I'll be seeing Get Low. And in the distant future, Green Lantern. I've got high expectations for that one.

Justin: I can't think of any right now.  I enjoy movies, but just about everyone else who writes for the site loves movies as a whole more than myself, I think.

Eric: Predators, because I’m hoping that it gets the redemption it deserves, The Expendables, as we all love ridiculously cheesy action movies, and that looks to be precisely that, Machete (see previous reason), and that’s about it for now. I’m not really to up to date on my movies though.


Watchmen the movie: crap, great, or somewhere in between?  Was the graphic novel better?

Rob: Somewhere in between. It's been out on DVD for awhile, but I can't bring myself to rent it, because I can't picture myself spending four hours in front of the television watching Watchmen: The Super Duper Extended Version, Featuring Deleted Scenes, Five Documentaries, and a Bonus Cartoon! I think the filmmakers did their best to adapt it to film, but the graphic novel will always be better. That being said, I think Alan Moore was a little harsh in saying: "I'm never going to watch this thing." The whole movie essentially shouts: "PLEASE LOVE ME ALAN!!!!" Sheesh, you don't have to throw 'em a bone, but you don't have to toss 'em in the basement and slam the door either...

Justin: Somewhere in between.  The look and atmosphere was done right, but some of the acting and pacing was just awkward.  The music choices were hit and miss too.  The graphic novel blows it away.

Eric: I’ll go out and say that personally, I loved it, warts and all. In my opinion, for all the flaws (soundtrack choices, a bit of hammy acting here and there, that My Chemical Romance video he directed for the film that butchered Bob Dylan, no squid), it mostly did the graphic novel right.

Zack Snyder obviously loved the source material, and it showed in the final product. It is one of the very few comic book to film adaptations that was able to transition to film with most of its soul intact, with emphasis on the word ‘most’. And I didn’t mind the extended cut, either. If Lord of the Rings fans can have their extended versions, then I can have my 4 hour cut of Watchmen, haha. That being said, it still doesn’t hold a candle to the novel, but I give it an A for effort.


Would you like to add anything?

Rob: I hope some of your readers will visit the site and take a look around. As I said, we're still establishing our identity, but I'm very proud of what Eric, Justin, myself, and the people who write with us have created. And we're ALWAYS looking for new writers. If you have something to say, or don't see something on the site that you think should be there, contact us and we'll be happy to work something out with you. Personally, my main goal with Primary Ignition has always been to make it FUN to read. And if you want to have some fun with us, we'd love to have you.

Justin: Thanks to anyone who takes the time to check out our site.  It's honestly really thrilling for me to know that there are nerdy folks just like myself that enjoys what we all do, especially given the amount of sites like ours out there.

Eric: Thanks to each and every person that takes the time to check us out. We’re working really hard to make something that is both interesting and fun to read, and it’s been a pleasure being able to do something that we all love, all while sharing it with others. Like Justin said, sites like this are a dime a dozen, but we’re trying to go the extra mile so that readers keep coming back.


Don't forget to comment and to bookmark our site! Subscribe
Bookmark and Share
Consider advertising on our site!

No comments: