Saturday, February 27, 2010

Interview with DaTechGuy.

I've interviewed some interesting folks before, however, Pete of www.datechguy.wordpress.com is as interesting as they come. Known for wearing fedoras, eating cannolis and blogging as a Conservative from Massachusetts (of all places), Pete has a lot to write about, and he was gracious enough to accept an Interview offer. This is interview #60 in our series.

Tim Knight -

Pete, what is it like being a Conservative in Massachusetts?

Pete -

It can be daunting because people assume you are liberal. I tend to wear my conservatism on my sleeve so it's not so bad for me. Right now it's actually more interesting since the Brown victory has emboldened conservatives to come out of the closet.

Tim Knight -

Pete, you attended CPAC after raising hundreds of dollars over the Internet, how did you pull that off?

Pete -

I can take very little credit, Robert Stacy McCain started pushing it, and it was picked up by such bloggers as Dan Collins, American Glob and No Sheepies here. They took up my cause and my readers and theirs responded. What astounded me was the fact that of what I raised over 85% was donated by people who never even met me. I'm still in shock over it and my wife still doesn't believe it. I am very conscious of the debt I owe my readers for this and hope my coverage was to their liking.

Tim Knight -

Pete, what was CPAC like?

Pete -

It was like nothing I've ever seen, hundreds of like minded people all excited and engaged in the political process. It gives one hope for the future when we see American Democracy can produce active and interested people who want to make a difference. The one problem I had was there was just SO MUCH to see and do. No one person can do it justice. For any person from a deep blue state it conveys such a feeling of belonging that it astounds you.

Tim Knight -

Pete, who received your vote in the CPAC Straw Poll?

Pete -

Sarah Palin

Tim Knight -

Pete, during the Massachusetts Senate election, what was the feel amongst voters?

Pete -

At first the feel was indifference, I was asking people pre-Stacy McCain what they thought about the election and most were simply uninterested, but as the Brown campaign started to take off the feel was one of emancipation. The idea that they were not trapped in a one party system and they could make a difference really took root. The feeling among the Brown supporters was enthusiasm and empowerment. From the Coakley supporters I spoke to the feeling I got was mostly indifference and arrogance. One large exception was a trio of young ladies I talked to on the subway in Boston. If she had more supports like them (all three were from out of state) she might have won.

Tim Knight -

Pete, you covered the Senate race due to RS McCain, what was it like being dragged around the state?

Pete -

It was interesting in the sense that I hate driving in Boston and had to do so much of it, but the actual coverage was great, I was able to share some of my haunts, rub elbows with a lot of people but most interesting of all meet the voters. It taught me that the wisdom of the average voter is something that the political class should cultivate, after all they do the working and the tax paying and the living in the country.

Tim Knight -

Pete, RS McCain comes off as an interesting fella, what say you?

Pete -

Interesting is not a strong enough word. He is a walking energy drink fueled by coffee, cigarettes, beer and the occasional photo with a lovely lady next to him. If you ever saw old movies from the 30's - 50's about reporters, that is him.

Tim -

Pete, Fedora or Cannoli?

Pete -

Fedora


Tim - Pete, I hear the Tucker Fund is still open, what is the Tucker Fund and how cane average Americans help?

Pete -

Basically I was a computer tech support rep until I lost my job. I've been unable to find work so I used to tease Tucker Carlson who got the 3.1 mil for the Daily Caller that for a mere $800 a week (what I was making) I'd give him 40 hours of work writing. Since Tucker hasn't called, I set up the fund to see if I can make a living doing this. The money goes basically to paying my bills while I keep looking for work. Of course if any conservative (or liberal) publication wants to hire a blogger I'm available for that same $800 per week plus travel and expenses. I'm not much of a drinker and I don't mind eating at McDonalds so guys I travel cheap. Is that a bargain or what!

Tim -

Pete, where do you see the Conservative Blogosphere one year from now?

Pete -

I see it going in two directions. I see it prepping the ground for the 2012 presidential race but I also see it channeling the Tea Parties in the sense that if/when (my money is on when) Republicans take the house back we will be keeping them honest. It's important to remember that we are not electing republicans for the sake of electing republicans, We are doing so because we believe conservatism is the best choice for the country and will allow us to leave a better more prosperous land to our children and grandchildren when we are gone. Power for power's sake is simply corruption.

Tim -

Pete - How many Republicans will be elected in Massachusetts Congressional races next year?

Pete -

My gut says 2 but my head says 1. However both the State and National republican party needs to invest in the boots on the ground to make this happen, we will never get a better chance to make this a two party state on the federal level. We should also be working on local state races, That is far more important than congressional seats since state republicans are the seed corn for national races.

Bookmark our site!
Subscribe


No comments: