Thursday, January 7, 2010

Interview: The Lonely Conservative

Jumping in Pools is proud to present number 45 in our interview series. This time we have the Lonely Conservative, a fine source for news and opinion. A fellow Upstate NYer, the site agreed to an interview. Check 'em out and add the LC to your favorites!

1. When and why did you start the Lonely Conservative?

Thanks for the reminder. I'm coming up on my second anniversary of blogging as the Lonely Conservative. It began as a hobby and an outlet because so many of my friends were liberal. Hence the name - Lonely Conservative. As I started following politics more closely, I realized we were at a turning point in history. Since then it's kind of become a mission. I have two little boys - this is my small attempt to preserve the freedoms we have left for them. My grandfather fought in WWII. I think if he were alive today he would be shocked at what's happening. My mother tells me he used to complain about the schools teaching social studies instead of history. I think he was on to something.

2. What has been President Obama's best moment as President? Worst?
I think his best moment was probably his inauguration. He was really an unknown, other than what he wanted the people to know. So he had millions of Americans projecting their dreams onto him. In hindsight I assume many of them regret it. As far as the worst moment, who can pick just one? Do I really have to choose? It depends on what day of the week it is.

3. Any favorites for 2012 yet?
I like Jim DeMint. I have no idea if he has plans to ever run for president, but I hope he does some day. Otherwise I'm torn. I was a big supporter of Romney during the primaries in 2008, I don't know. We'll have to see how things play out. I don't understand the whole anti-Mormon thing. I thought we were past all of that. My biggest beef with Romney would be RomneyCare in Massachusetts, but isn't that what the republic is all about. Leave those things to the states. He was the governor of a very liberal state. Everything he vetoed was overridden. So I can't fault him too much, and if he has no intention on pushing the Mass plan on the rest of us I guess I'm fine with it. Whoever it is, let's hope it isn't someone that makes us hold our noses. Cough - Huckabee!

4. Does it frustrate you to live in a red part of a very blue state?
Our county just elected Joanie Mahoney, a Republican, as the County Commissioner. She took on the GOP establishment and won the primary. That was a highlight. But the city of Syracuse is totally blue. When Mayor Bernardi (R) went to work for the Bush administration, the next in line was a democrat. We can't prove that there's any correlation, but the neighborhood we lived in deteriorated rapidly after the transition. We decided to take a loss on our house and move to the suburbs.
It's so frustrating, our last congressman, Jim Walsh (R) held the office for years. I wasn't a huge fan, the local paper endorsed him in every election because he brought home the bacon. He retired and the great Keynesian Dan Maffei won the seat with the help of special interests, George Soros, and a fairly lame republican contender. The GOP in this state is a mess.
On a positive note, people I've know for years are suddenly interested in politics. I've stopped talking politics with my more liberal friends for the most part, but I can't tell you how many people who never talked about politics before are suddenly complaining every day about the actions of the federal and state government. Others are getting actively involved. So perhaps there's hope yet.

5. What's the best part about running your site?

All the readers who leave comments and send me emails. I've made some good friends who have been very supportive, even though we've never met in person. It's also kind of cool sitting in on conference calls with members of the GOP in the House and having the opportunity to ask questions. Right now they're the only thing standing between us and serfdom. It's especially nice because my own representative won't speak to me. But he doesn't hesitate to spam my email and send me expensive looking brochures describing how much money he and his comrades are spending.

6. Anything else you'd like to tell us?
Matthew, I believe we're in a fight for our republic right now - what's left of it, that is. There's so much to cover it doesn't leave time to get down to the core problems. Can the states sue to overturn an unconstitutional health care bill? Only if they find a sympathetic judge. The point I'm getting at is this - the Constitution is ignored every day. So is the history of our founding. The Founders never imagined much of what's taken place over the last century. And when judges indicate that we all know they make legislation, I truly fear for our future. I could go on and on, instead I'll just end with my favorite quote:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."

http://lonelyconservative.com/

Bookmark our site!
Subscribe
Bookmark and Share
Consider advertising on our site!

1 comment:

Surfers paradise said...

Usually accounting postions always require an in person interview. The management has frequent contact with their accountants and they want to be sure the prospective employee is the right fit for the job. Phone interviews are usually for short term consultant/contractor positions.