Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Interview With Warren Redlich, Candidate for NY Governor

Warren Redlich has announced his candidacy for the Governorship of the State of New York, where our bloggers reside. He's run for Senate twice before and runs a law practice in the capital, Albany. Fellow writer Mr K. called him an "Obama Republican" in an article yesterday. We have the privilege to interview Mr. Redlich and ask about his campaign in his own words. This is number 55 in our continuing interview series.

Mr. Redlich's website explains his run: http://wredlich.com/ny/


1. Why did you decide to run for Governor?

Friends in the LP asked me to run. After looking at the state budget in more detail, I felt my "Stop Wasting Money" message could really address the problems here. I was also looking to see if any other candidate would appear who might make my run unnecessary. When Collins dropped out, that made the choice a lot easier.
2. Would you consider any policy divergences with the national GOP an asset or liability? Why?

I don't think of it in those terms (asset/liability). Both major parties lack coherent policy views. Leading GOP politicians at both the state and national level spent like drunken sailors and have ruined any notion that Republicans are fiscal conservatives. My policy views are what they are.
3. What were the high and low-points of your work on Ron Paul's 2008 Presidential run?

My "work" on the campaign was very limited. There were maybe one or two trips to the Board of Elections, focused on making sure Ron Paul got on the ballot. He got on the ballot, so I guess that was the high point. In terms of work there were no lows. The low point overall was when he didn't get the nomination. But I was still pleased with the nationwide effort and thought he did well in many states.
4. If elected, how will you manage the Assembly and State Senate, which are currently dominated by Democrats?

I have some very good policy ideas that will be popular with voters of both parties. I would identify the most vulnerable Democrats and if they don't play ball, I'd focus on electing Republicans in their districts. The best way to motivate incumbent legislators is by appealing to their constituents.
5. If you do not receive the GOP nomination, will you run under the Libertarian or Constitution Party line?

Libertarian.
6. Would you consider yourself a Republican or Libertarian first?

I consider myself a small "L" libertarian first, as in the policy views that go along with libertarian thinking. Political parties are one of the biggest problems in politics.
7. Anything else you would like to add?

Yes. The biggest difference I see between myself and mainstream politicians is that I tell people where I would cut spending. The initial proposals are detailed on my campaign website, http://wredlich.com/ny

The other major candidates use the phrase "control spending." That means they take our money and decide how they'll spend it. "Cut spending" means the government takes less of our money and lets us spend it (or save it) ourselves. I encourage you to challenge other candidates to be specific about where they would cut. Don't let them dodge either.

And as far as Republicans go, the only other announced GOP candidate voted for the assault weapons ban. I support the Second Amendment. It's a big difference.

Bookmark our site!
Subscribe
Bookmark and Share
Consider advertising on our site!

No comments: