Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Interview: American Glob

Jumping in Pools is proud to present interview number 41 in our interview series. We've interviewed Aleister from American Glob, which is an excellent source for opinion on the web. Aleister is a fellow supporter of Scott Brown. When you've read the interview, make sure to subscribe to his site.

1. Why did you switch from mainly parody to more serious articles?

It didn't happen overnight. Sometime in the year leading up to the 2008 presidential election, I felt like it was time to focus on real news. The world was becoming more serious in my mind and it was hard to keep writing fake headlines like "Massachusetts Shrine Deemed Wicked Holy" when so much unbelievable "real" news was coming to light every day. I also suspected my traffic would increase if I started dealing with real issues. I was right.

2. What has been President Obama's best act in office?

That's a really tough question because so far there is nothing I like about Obama's presidency. I like it when he says nice things to or about our military but there were so many times he did or said things that undercut our troops that I have a hard time believing his sincerity on the positive ones. I don't dislike President Obama personally and I respect him as our president. I just don't connect with him ideologically in any significant sense.

3. Worst?

Wealth redistribution disguised as economic rescue (the Stimulus bill)
Politics disguised as humanitarianism (ObamaCare)
Not to mention the bowing, the apologies for America, the campaign BS about transparency and the constant blaming of the previous administration.

4. What has been your favorite moment of running American Glob?

Connecting with other bloggers like you, Stacy & Smitty at the Other McCain, Dan Riehl and others is great. It's also really gratifying when you get linked by someone like Instapundit or some other big player. Plus, writing at American Glob gives me an outlet I wouldn't have otherwise. If you have a desire to participate in the national dialogue, blogging is a great way to express yourself.

5. Do you believe that Scott Brown will be elected to the US Senate?

Scott Brown has the best shot of winning a US Senate seat in Massachusetts of any Republican in the last forty years. Do I believe he can win? Yes. People from outside of Massachusetts think it's a completely liberal state but it's not. Boston and the Metro-Boston area are predominantly liberal but southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod and central & western Massachusetts are more center right than most people think. Add to that the fact that Obama's friend MA Governor Deval Patrick is vastly unpopular in the Bay State right now and it creates a perfect storm. If any Republican can win in Massachusetts, it's Scott Brown, right now.

6. Are libertarian and Republican leanings compatible?

Abso-freakin-lutely. Glenn Reynolds once said "If you're a libertarian, neither party is great but the Republicans are less bad." I'll take it a step further and say that the Republicans are often much better for libertarians. Just look at how a Democrat controlled government is trying to create a massive nanny state right now and it tells you all you need to know. As a libertarian, it causes me no crisis of political identity to vote Republican, especially when Republicans embrace their roots of limited government and fiscal conservatism. I think with the activity of the Tea Parties and other activists, we're going to see more of that in the coming months.

7. Does living in the People's Republic of New England drive you nuts?

There have been rough patches. During the last presidential election, I lost some old friends when it became known in my social circle that I wasn't supporting Obama and that really hurt. On the other hand, New England is a beautiful place and the landscape is rich with American history. There's a 300 year old American Revolutionary War monument in the middle of my neighborhood that I see every day. It's hard to beat that for inspiration.

http://americanglob.com/

Bookmark our site!
Subscribe
Bookmark and Share
Consider advertising on our site!

No comments: